Call outs in Sedgwick region spark fire warning

A high number of grass fires in the Sedgwick region have prompted a warning for locals to be alert, with weather conditions providing the potential for a large fire.
Nanjing Night Net

Dry conditions led to five call outs to fires that had spread out of control in the area in the past eight days.

Sedgwick CFA captain Mark Laidlaw said a number of fires had been sparked by burn offs where people didn’t take proper safety precautions.

“A fire on Wednesday was started by someone burning off in inappropriate weather conditions,” he said.

“They had no firefighting equipment at hand.”

The fire covered five hectares of grass on Sedgwick road.

Mr Laidlaw said it was important people considered the conditions before conducting a burn off, or using farm machinery.

“With the current fuel loads, the potential for fire has greatly increased. All the indicators are that we’re in for a serious fire season.”

This weekend is the last chance people can burn off without a permit before the Fire Danger Period takes effect in Bendigo.

With forecast temperatures of 33 degrees on Saturday and 35 on Sunday, Mr Laidlaw said there was considerable risk of fires spreading quickly.

“I would discourage anyone from burning off this weekend,” he said.

“I wouldn’t consider anywhere in the region safe to light a fire.”

CFA operations officer Craig Brittain said there was a danger that people weren’t taking safety messages.

“It’s a bit disappointing that people don’t take more precaution.

“It’s a risk that people will try to do their burn offs this weekend to try to squeeze it in.”

He said during the Fire Danger Period there would be zero tolerance on burn offs without a permit and charges would be laid.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.