Family’s horror: Home owner praises emergency services after fire

MILDURA GP Dr John Dyson-Berry looked forward to an evening with friends and family on Wednesday, but the casual dinner party became the stuff nightmares are made of when his Irymple home caught fire.
Nanjing Night Net

Dr Dyson-Berry said his wife Julie and two of his four children were hosting guests from out of town, as well as his mother-in-law at their Sandilong Avenue home before the fire started about 7pm.

“They had a pre-dinner party they will never forget – as none of us will,” he said.

Fire and the water used to extinguish the blaze at the Dyson-Berrys’ historic 1908 homestead left the family with an estimated $150,000 damage bill and the clothes on their backs.

“The original roof is totally destroyed and all our wardrobes and our bathroom,” Dr Dyson-Berry said yesterday.

“My wife and I lost all our toiletries and clothes.

“My mother-in-law washed the set of clothes I was wearing and I wore them into work this morning.”

Dr Dyson-Berry said his mother-in-law was the one who raised the alarm after smelling smoke.

“My mother-in-law came in and asked if we were burning something,” he said.

“My wife went upstairs and shouted that there was what we thought was a small fire on the balcony at the back of the house.

“The tin roof was boiling and as we went to throw water on it, sparks started to fly, the roof started to explode and smoke was pouring out through the air-conditioning ducts.”

Dr Dyson-Berry said watching the home he had lived in for 23 years burn before his eyes was a traumatic and frightening experience.

But he could not praise emergency services highly enough.

For more of this story, purchase your copy of Friday’s Sunraysia Daily 23/11/2012.

CONTAINING a house fire in Sandilong Avenue, Irymple, proved exhausting for volunteer Irymple firefighter David Beattie. It was also a moment of reflection for fellow firefighter Steven Elms (standing), who was called on to help extinguish the fire at the house where his father was born in 1927. The fire caused up to $150,000 damage to the historic five bedroom home.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.