A HOUSE fire in Sandilong Avenue, Irymple, on Wednesday night caused up to $150,000 damage to a historic five bedroom home.
For Irymple volunteer firefighter Steven Elms, the fire was particularly poignant – his father Harry Elms was born in the home in 1927 and the front gate still bears the plaque ‘Elmhurst’.
Mr Elms, who was on the scene on Wednesday evening, said he was there to do a job, but after helping fight the roof fire, he paused to reflect.
“Unfortunately it was the first time I’ve been in the house,” Mr Elms said.
“It was a bit of a shame – my grandfather Alfred Elms, who was a surveyor and property developer in Irymple would have built it.
“My dad died in 2010, aged 83, but he would have been devastated to hear about the fire, he had very good memories of the house.
“He grew up there with his brothers Les and Bill and there used to be stables out the back for the horses who worked the fruit block around the home.
“It’s very unfortunate to see a beautiful old home like that with flames through the roof.”
Mildura Fire Brigade senior station officer Malcolm Hayes said the brigade was called to the roof fire about 6.45pm, with the blaze contained within 45 minutes and then monitored throughout the night.
For more of this story, purchase your copy of Friday’s Sunraysia Daily 23/11/2012.
Historic: Irymple volunteer firefighter Steven Elms watches as the house his father was born in is continues to smoulder. Picture: David Sickerdick
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.